If you love being tan year round but weren’t lucky enough to be born with a deep, bronzed skin tone; you have probably spent too much time and money trying to achieve that perfect tan.
Over exposure to the sun and tanning beds can cause irreversible damage to your skin and sunless tanning products can have a horrible smell and include toxic chemicals. If you want to save money and avoid commercial sunless tanning products, I have a DIY tip on how you can learn to make your own homemade sunless tanning products, and you can make them for a fraction of the cost of buying them!
Plus, you know exactly what is going into them and what your putting on your precious skin. (remember your skin absorbs 65% of what ever you put on it) There are many different options and variations to sunless tanning lotion recipes. You can pick which one is right for you or just the one that you already have ingredients for laying around the house.
The best part about making your own sunless tanning lotion is that:
- There is no weird orange color that you can get from store bought products
- You can customize the exact color you want by changing the recipe up just a little
- Less expensive
- No harsh chemicals
Cocoa Powder Sunless Tanning Lotion
This is the simplest sunless tanning lotion to make. It only requires two ingredients; unscented, white lotion and 100% pure cocoa powder. You can use any cocoa powder as long as it says 100% pure on the label. .
- Start out by combining 1/2 cup of unscented white lotion in a bowl with 1/3 cup of pure cocoa powder.
- Mix together with a fork. Make sure to break up any clumps and blend together well.
- Adjust the recipe to match your desired color. The lotion will appear darker in the bowl than it will on your skin. Keep adding a little bit of cocoa powder at a time until you reach your desired shade.
- Smooth over entire body evenly.
- Apply daily for a gradual deep tan.
- Store homemade lotion in a Tupperware container or in an empty jar that once held lotion.
- Choose a moisturizing lotion to get added benefits.
- Exfoliate before application
- The lotion will look very very dark when you make it but it does not show up that dark on your skin. If your afraid to make it too dark, just use the standard 1/2 lotion, 1/3 cup cocoa and keep adding layers until it is as dark as you want it.
- You will be able to see the color as you apply it.