Lets get technical for a minute…(But only a minute because I don’t like technical mumbo jumbo)
Soaps, creams and other skin care products containing the active ingredient called DMAE, (which stands for Dimethylaminoethanol) are said to be the Fountain Of Youth! DMAE is a nutrient that occurs naturally in our brain, in small amounts, and facilitates the synthesis of acetylcholine.
OK got it! well, maybe not. So what is Acetylcholine? The technical or proper definition is that it is a neurotransmitter that helps in establishing communication between nerves and muscles, and also in carrying messages between brain cells. Acetylcholine works by sending messages to the muscles and stimulates their contraction. Which basically means that products containing DMAE address issues with sagging skin.
The active ingredient helps stimulate the production of acetylcholine, and that enhances the skin tone by firming and tightening its appearance from beneath the skin. WOW! Right? No wonder it’s called the Fountain Of Youth. It works from the inside out.
Another way that DMAE helps the skin is by reducing the accumulation of lipofuscin deposits inside cells. Lipofuscin is a skin pigment that can create discolorations. It has a brownish color and is a result of molecular waste when fatty acids are not metabolized properly by the body. This pigment oftentimes shows up in the form of liver spots or age spots, especially in people who are at a more mature stage in their life. DMAE products also tend to have anti-inflammatory properties and can help reduce free radicals in the body.
So, If you’re looking for the best DMAE products, it’s important to understand that it should contain a non-irritating anti-oxidant base. This will help protect your skin cells. Topical application of DMAE soaps and creams may help in the following ways:
- A DMAE has the potential ability to partially increase the firmness of your skin in a smaller time frame than products with out DMAE.
- It can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, especially on the forehead, around the mouth, and around the nose.
- It can potentially reduce the sagginess of the skin in the neck region.
- DMAE could improve the muscle tone of the face and make it look more youthful.
- DMAE may also help the skin around the eyes by reducing the appearance of under eye circles and fine lines.
- DMAE can also reduce coarse wrinkles around the jaw.
- DMAE could also potentially reduce smile lines and help tighten areas around the lips. DMAE further enhances the lip region to improve their shape and fullness by increasing circulation.
- In some cases, it is believed that DMAE in stronger concentrations can tighten the thighs and buttocks areas and address skin dimpling issues.
DMAE is commonly used in different skin products partially as a pH buffer. It is often recommended to take vitamins, such as vitamin C and B, when using a DMAE products to maximize the anti-aging benefits of the product. DMAE is often used as a base product ingredient and combined with other anti-aging ingredients such as alpha lipoic acid and anti-oxidants, salicylic acid and collagen. All of these ingredients together make for one power packed amazing product!
I personally love and use a few products with DMAE. I’m not one to use a million different products on my skin. Who has time for all of that? Being a celebrity makeup artist, a business owner, a wife, a mom (of 6) and grandmother (of 6), my time is limited. So it’s important to me to find products that are efficient and easy to use. It is also important to me that I find products that are cost effective, let’s face it every dollar counts right? Everyone wants more bang for their buck.
I buy my products from Skin Soap Junkie. (www.SkinSoapJunkie.com) They have face/body soaps that have all of the above ingredients all wrapped up into one bar. You cant get more efficient that that! But search the web. A lot of cosmetics companies are adding this amazing ingredient in their products now because it works! You can find reviews and ton’s of information about the DMAE on the web. If you haven’t tried it yet, your missing out.